That time when a beautiful lady had a blog called Sisters in the City where she featured outfits that were tooooootally Style Crush worthy and then it turned out that this beautiful lady was beautiful on the INSIDE as well, which is my most favorite thing in all the land (cuz if you’re beautiful on the outside but NOT on the inside, you might as well be a wart faced balding bearded dwarfed hobbit with leprosy, as far as I’m concerned.). Which is why Allison of Sisters in the City is this week’s GBO Fashion
1. How would you describe your style?
As a little girl, playing dress up was my absolute favorite thing and I really never grew out of it. That kind of explains my style in a nutshell. I love classic and feminine pieces but I absolutely love mixing things up and adding edgy or trendy items to the staples of my wardrobe. Fashion should be fun and I love trying on different looks and different personalities.
2. Who are your fashion icons?
I absolutely love Olivia Palermo’s style. Something about that girl is chic through and through. She is so great about putting together looks that are all different types of styles while keeping it classy which totally fits my personality.
3. Where do you go for fashion inspiration?
I love browsing pinterest “womens fashion” category and just looking at fashion pins from people all over the world. I always find inspiration there. I also love browsing magazines for up-coming trends.
4. What are the top three places you shop?
H&M, J. Crew, Forever 21
5. What’s your ‘Go-To’ outfit for when you need to get ready in a flash?
Basically my chambray shirt paired with just about anything. Chambray is my best friend because it literally goes with everything and there is something so effortlessly chic about it.
6. Do you follow trends? If so, what trends excite you at the moment?
I love trying out new trends but my rule is to only buy inexpensive trendy items. H&M and Forever 21 are my go-to’s to try out new and exciting things. Right now I am loving everything neon and bold patterned.
7. Why is the way you look/dress important to you?
Feeling good in what I am wearing makes me feel like I can take on the world! I love having fun with my wardrobe and expressing myself through the way that I dress. I also think it is very important to dress for success and that the way that you dress conveys a lot about the person you are to the rest of the world so I always try to be mindful of that.
8. What fashion or styling tips would you give to women who want to improve their sense of style?
I think the best advice is to invest in a few classic staple pieces, nice black skinnies, a classic coat or trench, a nice blouse etc and then incorporate trends that you find fun and exciting by snagging that neon printed scarf for 7 dollars or those snake skin pumps for 17 at T.J. Maxx. This gives you the best of both worlds and lets you mix and match while staying on trend.
9. What made you want to start a blog?
Like I said before, I LOVE playing dress up and thought this would such a fun way for me to share that with the world. I am so busy with grad school and “serious” stuff that this was a fun and creative outlet for me.
10. What are the top three tips you’d give to bloggers wanting to build their following?
– Network, network, network- with other bloggers and with companies. Follow and show interest in them and they will reciprocate, making a mutually beneficial partnership.
– Go for quality over quantity. Three really good blog posts a week are much more effective than six half-baked ones.
– Social media is your best friend. It is literally free advertising. Utilize it to the max, hashtag, pinterest etc.
11. Anything further you’d like to add?
I just want to thank Shannon for featuring me! Talk about a stunning, sassy and unbelievably talented gal! I’m honored to be a GBO style crush!
Um, is she not to die for? Love love love these Sisters in the City. You should love them too! Right. Meow. When you visit their fabulous blog. Mmmmk?!
Have a Whip Your Hair Back and Forth Wednesday!
(remember when Will Smith’s daughter was a 12 year old pop star and everyone felt awkward about it? Or maybe only I did? Yep. I remember that.)