Happy New Year homies! Remember how it’s 2018 guys? What the CRAP? That may or may not have been the fastest year of my life. Anyone else feel that way? I have lots of stuff that I want to share with you in the coming weeks, but I thought I’d kick it all off with a few things to try this year that I highly recommend – ASAP! Cuz new year, new you baby. Woot!
- Things to Try this year – A New Trend. Cuz why the H not? Fashion is supposed to be fun, amiright? As a long-standing Pinterest whore (sorry I said whore), Pinterest is still my go-to resource for freshening up on what the latest and greatest trends are. Pinterest also lends me a bum-load of inspiration for how to rock the current trends like a chic boss-lady. Moral of this story: if you’re not following me on Pinterest yet, you should be! 🙂 Second moral of this story: trying new trends is a low-risk way to shake things up in your life. Always loved the way faux fur coats look on other people but not sure you can pull it off? Tell yourself ‘heck yes I can!‘ and ‘who cares?!‘ and do the dang thang! Been loving the way OTK boots trend on other peeps but have mixed feelings about them for yourself? Give those puppies a whirl! By the way, these are my favorite places to shop trends: Here, Here, Here, Here, Here & Here. ALSO, for the record, I used to be super skeptical about OTK boots myself but talk about my realization/conversion to them realization about OTK boots specifically in this post). There’s something liberating and inspiring about telling your fears where to go and trying something new, just because you want to. It can spark new creativity, new bravery, new excitement… all of which can permeate into other areas of your life where the stakes are higher (your job, your mom life, your dating life, the business you’ve thought about starting, etc.). You feel me guys?! Anyone with me on this? I say make a resolution to abandon your fears and try something new this year in the style/fashion department! Two notes about this:
- Don’t ever, under any circumstances, abandon your values in the name of trying/wearing a trend. Let’s get one things straight here guys – I am by no means suggesting you should be a slave to the trends, particularly those that cause you to deviate in any way from personal values you may have about how you want to dress and present yourself. Like for me, there are tons of trends I literally skip right over, simply because the decision to dress modestly is one I made a long long time ago based on my beliefs, and frankly it’s very important to me. So regardless of what the trends are, you’re never going to see me in a plunging v-neck dress with my cleavage abounding, or a mini skirt, or crop top, for example. Know what I mean? I’m not saying you have to try ALL the trends – in fact I advise against that. Pick the ones you love and that don’t elicit any moral compromise in your life. These are clothes people – they are not worth rationalizing your values for – EVER.
- Secondly, BE KIND TO YOURSELF! Let’s say you do go ahead and try a faux fur jacket, but in hind sight the outfit ends up being a hot mess kind of. Don’t sweat it! Do you know how many hot mess ensembles I have had, and then actually blasted publicly on the internets (you’re like ‘yes we do Shannon cuz we follow your blog’ haha)? Everyone has a miss here and there! This is fashion – it’s not life or death. So have fun with it and above all, BE NICE TO YOURSELF. There’s never really a good reason to be a jerk to yourself, but especially not over whether or not you nailed that attempt to wear a new trend. You’ll win some, you’ll lose some, but the only real loss is being too afraid to try. Word!
- Things to Try this year – New Makeup (Maskcara Makeup, specifically!) So, you may or may not know this, but last year I started selling Maskcara Makeup. In other words, I became an official Maskcara Makeup Artist, as they’re called. Why the H did I do this? Because I am obsesssssssed with the makeup – that’s why! Well, that’s one of the reasons, anyway — you can read about the other reasons why HERE. Point is, if you haven’t tried Maskcara makeup yet you guys, seriously you MUST. Makeup is another one of those things in life that I personally think should be a whole lot of FUN. But if you’re anything like me, I tend to find a product I like and then stick to it religiously without being willing to try other things. I was hesitant to try Maskcara several months back for that very reason, but boy am I glad that I did. It quickly became my favorite foundation I have ever used – partly because I genuinely felt like it made me look prettier, partly because I could tell my husband loved it (he commented on it unsolicited, which I was sort of shocked about cuz normally he wouldn’t notice something like a change in the foundation I’m using, ya know?), partly because it was affordable, and partly because it worked super well for my busy, on-the-go mom life. And selling it is one of the best ‘big decisions’ I made last year. If you want to try out this fun and fab makeup but aren’t sure what color to order, shoot me an email or a DM on Instagram and let’s get you color matched! Here’s to a new year and a new, prettier you in this makeup! 🙂
- Things to Try this year – A New Fitness Routine. Ok, I plan on doing a full post in the next week or two about fitness goals for the new year, but I’m going to kick that off with a little blurb here about the power of mixing up your fitness strategy. I made some major shifts last year in how I was approaching getting/staying in shape, and honestly it made all the difference in the world (peep my transformation post to see what I’m talking about!). I tried a new workout plan that I loved. I hired a macro coach, which was literally a life-changing decision (read more about that here & here). I tried out some fun new fitness brands (like this one as seen HERE, and this one as seen HERE) that surprisingly impacted the quality of my workouts and the motivation I had to get in the gym. And now this year, I am planning on trying out a new fitness app that I’m super pumped about. More to come on that later, but long story short, my advice is to try something new in the fitness department this year. For me, shaking things up has been a major catalyst to changing my body and seeing actual progress.
What new things are you guys thinking about trying this year? Tell meeeeee! Ok thanks.
Shop Sale Favorites
Shop New Year Sales
EXPRESS // Additional 50% off clearance + Free shipping
FREE PEOPLE // Extra 40% off all sale styles
H&M // 20% off $100 or more + free shipping with code 8447
And HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Here’s to 2018! Woooot!